Saturday, February 4, 2017

Poet as a muse

On the last Wednesday of the month at 3pm a dedicated group of Plush Mills residents meet to discuss and read poetry out loud.  Last month they chose Emily Dickinson as the featured poet.  Jerry Murphy was so inspired he wrote a poem about her.

Emily

Why haven't I found you before today?
I've avoided contact with the poetic way
Instead, my literary path led me to interstellar frays.
Today your words on masculine remarks 
Rang true as I recalled the women's March
In Washington - when I described in harsh terms
"A protest on women's foot ware"
Where did that come from?  An insensitive burst
At my masculine worst
Like "Powder exists in charcoal 
Before it exists in fire."
Emily, you may have had something there when you wrote,
"...A remark...a quiet thing that may furnish the fuse unto a spark
In dormant nature lay."
Regrets, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention.
This was one for which I had no intention.
Emily, I'll look for you again,
When next I pick up my pen.

Jerry Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment